Dr. Andrew Isaak
Assistant ProfessorBuilding: 24.31
By prior agreement.
- Since Sept 2019: Assistant Professor of Entrepreneurship and Financing, Manchot-Graduate School for "Competitiveness of Young Enterprises", University of Düsseldorf
- 2018-2019: Assistant Professor of Management, SolBridge International School of Business, Daejeon, South Korea.
- 2018 PhD (Dr. rer. pol.) in Business Administration (Magna Cum Laude), Thesis topic: "Essays on trust and online peer-to-peer markets"
- 2016-2018 research assistant, University of Mannheim, Chair for SME Research and Entrepreneurship (Prof. Dr. Michael Woywode)
- 2016 visiting scholar, University of California at Berkeley (TSRC)
- 2012-2016 research assistant, University of Mannheim, Business School (Dean's Office)
- 2011- Founder and CEO of the startup Tommoko® Crowdfunding
- 2009-2012 student assistant, then research assistant at the University of Heidelberg's Chair for Behavioral Economics (Prof. Dr. Christiane Schwieren)
- 2008 Consulting Trainee (SAP) at Accenture in Kronberg, Germany and London, U.K. for Lufthansa and Amadeus
- 2006 and 2007 Internships at Saatchi & Saatchi, Franfurt a.M., Germany (strategy)
- 2006 M.B.A., International Business (with distinction), Pace University, USA
- 2003 B.A., Economics, Bucknell University, Pennsylvania, USA
- 09/2022 Best Reviewer Award, Junior Management Science (Technology Management & Entrepreneurship)
- 08/2021 Best Paper Proceedings, Academy of Management (Entrepreneurship, together with Neuhaus, J. and Bostandzic., D.)
- 07/2021 Most Inspirational Paper Award Nomination, European Academy of Management (Entrepreneurship, together with Neuhaus, J. and Bostandzic., D.)
- 08/2020 Best Reviewer Award, Academy of Management (Technology & Innovation Management)
- 10/2019 Best Paper Award, IECER Entrepreneurship Conference, Utrecht (together with Ahrens, J.P., Istipliler, B. and Bort, S.)
- 09/2019 Best Reviewer Award, Academy of Management (Entrepreneurship)
- 04/2019 Best Paper Award, 4th International Family Research Forum (together with Ahrens, J.P., Istipliler, B. and Bort, S.)
- 09/2018 Best Reviewer Award, Academy of Management (Entrepreneurship)
(1) Sustainability and Social Entrepreneurship
Isaak, A., Schwieren, C., and Iida, A. (2022). Reaching Agreement on Contribution Behavior in different Cultures – a Public Goods Game with Representatives in Japan and Germany. Journal of Behavioural and Experimental Economics. (VHB: B) https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2214804322000684
Gruba, M. C., Denes, D., Lobo, R. C., Isaak, A. (2022). Circular Economy Initiatives: Strategic Implications, Resource Management, and Entrepreneurial Innovation in a Brazilian Craft Beer Ecosystem during the COVID Era. Sustainability. https://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/14/19/11826
Isaak, A. (2020). A Resource-Based Perspective on Refugee Startup Consulting: Lessons from German-Speaking Europe. Book Chapter in Eds. Massimiliano, L., Hans, M. & Marzena, L. The Entrepreneurship SIG at European Academy of Management: New Horizons with Strong Traditions Vol. II. Information Age Publishing, Charlotte, NC. https://www.infoagepub.com/products/European-Entrepreneurship-Research-and-Practice
Leicht, R.; Berwing, S.; Isaak, A. (2019). How Precarious is Migrant Self-Employment in Germany? An Analysis of National Microcensus Data. Book chapter in Eds. Wieteke, C. & Schippers, J. Self-Employment as Precarious Work: A European Perspective. Edward Elgar: Cheltenham, UK. doi: 10.4337/9781788115032.00018
Isaak, A. (2019). A Resource-Based Perspective on Refugee Start-up Consulting in Germany. 2019 Academy of Management Global Proceedings (Abstract), Vol. Tel Aviv., Jan 28th, 2019. Doi: 10.5465/amgblproc.telaviv.2018.0315.abs
Rüffer, N.; Isaak, A.; Ivanov, F. (2018). Trust, Civic Engagement and Social Cohesion in Technology Transfer in Russia and Ukraine. Proceedings of the GSOM Emerging Markets Conference. St. Petersburg University, Russia. Link
Isaak, A. (2015). Failing to Scale and Scaling to Fail: How Social Entrepreneurs Exploit Impure Non-profits in Order to Attain Economies of Scale”, First International Workshop on the Sharing Economy, Utrecht University, 04/2015, Holland. Link
Isaak, R.; Bachenheimer, B; Isaak, A. (2014) Reaching for Scalable Entrepreneurship: Implications for Growth & Job Creation, in Entrepreneurship: Theory, Role of Economic Development and Practices. Nova Science Publishers, USA. ISBN: 978-1-62948-649-9
(2) Digital Entrepreneurship
Isaak, A.; Bort, S. and Woywode, M. (2021). Institutional Legitimacy and New Market Emergence: the Case of Bitcoin Trading. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS). https://aisel.aisnet.org/icis2021/fintech/fintech/9/ (VHB: A)
Neuhaus, J.; Isaak, A. and Bostandzic, D. (2021). Implicit Personality and Big Five Traits in Equity Crowdfunding. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS). https://aisel.aisnet.org/icis2021/fintech/fintech/4/ (VHB: A)
Neuhaus, J.; Isaak, A. and Bostandzic, D. (2021). Million Dollar Personality: A Systematic Literature Review of Personality in Crowdfunding. Management Review Quarterly. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11301-021-00242-9 (VHB: C)
Isaak, A.; Bort, S. and Woywode, M. (2021). The Geoeconomics of Cryptocurrencies. Book chapter in Eds. Munoz, M & Frenkel, M. Economics of Cryptocurrencies. Routledge: Abingdon, UK. Part of ISBN: 9780367191030
Neuhaus, J.; Isaak, A. and Bostandzic, D. (2021). Success Lies in the Eye of the Beholder: Personality Traits, Negativity Bias and Equity Crowdfunding. Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMBPP.2021.164 (<10% accepted)
Isaak, A.; Neuhaus, J. and Bostandzic, D. (2021). Perceived Personality Signals in Equity Crowdfunding of Technology Ventures (Summary). Frontiers of Entrepreneurship Research. Vol. 41.
Selasinsky, C. Isaak, A. (2020): It's all in the (Sub-)title? Expanding Signal Evaluation in Crowdfunding Research, In: Proceedings of the European Conference on Information System (ECIS). Research-in-Progress Papers. 56. https://aisel.aisnet.org/ecis2020_rip/56 (VHB: B)
Isaak, A. and Bort, S. (2020). The Global Dynamics Of Cryptocurrencies: An Institutional Perspective Based On National-Level Perceptions Of Corruption, Voice And Accountability (Summary). Frontiers of Entrepreneurship Research, Vol. 40 (2).
Ahrens, J.P.; Isaak, A.; Istipliler, B., Steininger, D. (2019). The Star Citizen Phenomenon & the "Ultimate Dream Management Technique in Crowdfunding". ICIS 2019 Proceedings. https://aisel.aisnet.org/icis2019/crowds_social/crowds_social/7/ (VHB: A)
Isaak, A.; Bort, S. (2019). Legitimacy, Government Regulations and New Market Emergence: The Role of Institutional Voids, Corruption and Trust in the Market for Bitcoin Trading. Proceedings of the 2019 Academy of Management Conference (Abstract), Boston, MA. 10.5465/AMBPP.2019.11641abstract
(3) Family Business and International Entrepreneurship
Istipliler, B., Ahrens, J.-P., Bort, S. and Isaak, A. (2020). Learning the Bias? How Pre-Successor Firm Experience Affects Family Firm Performance. Proceedings of the 2020 Academy of Management Conference (Abstract) https://journals.aom.org/doi/abs/10.5465/AMBPP.2020.17032abstract
Istipliler, B., Ahrens, J.-P., Bort, S. and Isaak, A. (2019 - Best Paper). When Successors learn not to see the Wood for the Trees in Family Firms. 4th International Family Business Research Forum (IFBRF), Monaco. Link
Isaak, A.; Lobo, R. (2020). Technology Forecasting and Corporate Strategy in Latin America. Academy of Management Global Proceedings (Abstract). Vol. Mexico. No. 2020.
Isaak, A.; Liu, Y. (2016): Effectuation Spectra in Chinese High-tech Entrepreneurship: Domain-specific Logic Orientations and CrossBorder M&A. Book chapter in Eds. Tarba, S & Weber, Y. Emerald edited volume on M&A on Technology, Innovation, Entrepreneurship and Competitive Strategy. Emerald Publishing: Bingley, UK, 51-88. Doi: 10.1108/S1479-067X20160000015006
Isaak, A.; Isaak, R.; Zybura, J. (2016): Replicating Silicon Valley: Talent & Techno-management in a Culture of Serendipity. Book chapter in Ed. Liu, Y. Entrepreneur and Talent Management from a Global Perspective – Global Returnees. Edward Elgar: Cheltenham, UK. Doi: 10.4337/9781783479139.00022
Isaak, A. (2019). Essays on Trust in Online Peer-to-Peer Markets. University of Mannheim (Dissertation).
Erlen, B; Isaak, A. (2014). Business Ratios (BWL Kennzahlen). Wiley: Weinheim, Germany & New York, USA. ISBN: 978-3-527-50757-3
Dinh, J., Isaak, A., and Wehner, M. (Working Paper). Sustainability-oriented Crowdfunding: A Review and Research Agenda.
Meyer, A., Weißenberger, B.E., and Isaak, A. (Working Paper). Hurdles in practicing sustainability accounting by means of an ESG Compass.
Isaak, A., Bort, S., and Woywode, M. (Working Paper). When No Means Yes: Temporal and Institutional Interplays in New Market Emergence.
Ahrens, J.P., Isaak, A., Istipliler, B., and Rottler, M. (Working Paper). Exchanges about Dreams: Towards a new Management Technique for Crowdfunding.
Bouchet, M. H., Isaak, R., and Isaak, A. (Working Paper) Financial Curricula and the Hidden Causes of Financial Crises: Revamping the Teaching of Market Finance in the Academic World.
Isaak, A.; Steininger, D; Veit, D.; Woywode, M. (Working Paper). Detecting Deception in Crowdfunding.
Isaak, A.; Steininger, D; Veit, D.; Woywode, M. (Working Paper). Trust-Building in Crowdfunding.
Jarke, J., Römer, D., Isaak, A., Eisenkolb, B. (Working Paper) Moral Emotions and Voluntary Compliance: A Subliminal Priming Approach.